Uniform Optimize has been deprecated and replaced by Context, a more powerful and flexible personalization solution. Optimize is not being discontinued at this time, but it will not receive updates or new features.
We do not recommend starting a new project with Optimize. If you have an existing project that uses Optimize, you can upgrade your project to Context at no cost using our upgrade guide. If you have any issues with this process you can contact our team.
With Uniform Optimize for Contentful, getting started with personalization is easy, once you have connected Contentful and Uniform Optimize.
Step 1: Create Your First Intents
Your visitors have different intents; the first step is creating intents for the most common ones.
What Are the Intents of Your Different Site Visitors?
Before getting started, we recommend you do this with pen and paper, mapping which intents you prioritize. Write down all the different intents your visitors can have.
Examples of different intents:
- Marketers who want to see if our product is a fit for them.
- Marketers who have viewed a demo and want to read cases.
- Existing customers who want to view videos on how to use our product.
- Partners interested in a high-level product overview.
- Potential future employees who want to see which openings we have.
After your list is complete, prioritize which three to five intents are most valuable by focusing on:
- How many of your visitors have that intent?
- What is the potential business value of converting more of those visitors towards a specific goal? (e.g., marketers signing up for sales demo, existing customers watching getting started video)
Create your first intents in Uniform using the information based on visitors with high visitation and business value.
Creating Intents in Uniform
From your Uniform Optimize project dashboard, click on the red plus button to add a new intent:
Provide a name and optional description:
Repeat this for the prioritized list of intents that you want to personalize. For each intent, you will need to map which signals trigger the intent.
Step 2: Add Signals for Your Intents
The free tier of Uniform Optimize for Contentful comes with different signals you can use for your visitor's in-the-moment intent.
To create a signal, navigate to the intent, then click on the red plus button to add a new signal:
Select the signal type:
Configure the signal; the inputs are based on the signal selected. Below is the configuration on a query string:
Once you have created the intents and signals in your Uniform project, then you can enable personalization in Contentful.
Learn more about the different signal types here: Defining intents
Step 3: Create Relevant Content Based on Your Visitors Intent
Navigate to the component you are personalizing in Contentful, then select it:
You can access all the personalized variants created for the different intents on the component's personalization list. To add a new personalization variant, click Create new Hero and link:
Click Add Intent Tag to add the personalized content for the Uniform Intent Tags field:
Select the Intent Tag in the drop-down menu you are using to personalize the component:
Publish the new variant and the component personalization list - you're finished!
Note: Select the advanced setting for the personalization variant; after adding the intent tag, you can control if:
- The component is used for behavior tracking.
- Enable personalization for this variant on the component (default).
- Override personalization occurs when a visitor has any strength in the selected intent tag and should only be used for specific cases, as it will override other personalization in the component.